market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] compost my septic sludge?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] compost my septic sludge?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:16:06 -0400

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Nan Hildreth <NanHildreth AT riseup.net> wrote:
Can we dip our septic tank and pour it onto sawdust and let it rot
for six months and then put around my blackberries?

Nan---

I grew up in Texas. Back in the 1950's, people would go over the border into Mexico and buy produce. At the time Mexican farmers were spreading human wastes on their fields. These people who purchased and ate this produce became seriously ill from all kinds of diseases that were contracted from eating food that was tainted with human waste.

My memory isn't real clear on all the details of the aftermath other than for a time Mexican produce could not be brought into the US because of this.

It is in your best interests to not do this or I hope your product liability insurance will cover this foray.

Pam
SC