market-farming - [Market-farming] Summer 'head' lettuce Qs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Summer 'head' lettuce Qs
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:40:16 -0400

Am working with a chef who's moved to a new restaurant. Very close to
my market so convenient to grow for him. This is my first year of
restaurant sales, so am establishing a reputation.

He serves baby lettuces, is buying my youngest bibbs tomorrow. Wants
more 'baby' lettuces all summer, as distinct from salad mix. He liked
whole, young loose leafs plants, such as Oscarde and Galisse, but most
desires small, round 'heads'.

I have red and green deer tongue, which are heat resistant and could
work for baby heads, though not as rounded. Any recommendations for
baby 'head' production in summer? We rarely get into the 90s, but
lots of mid-high 80s.

Also:
The need for keeping lettuce roots cool through drip irrigation and
mulch collides with the need for keeping slugs from hiding in my
lettuce heads, despite use of Sluggo.

I can imaging a restaurant patron finding a slug hiding in one of my
baby bibbs, even though we triple wash. Lots of small ones showing up
in the wash tubs, still a few in the third wash.

Any advice on keeping slugs off of lettuce, especially that mulched
and drip irrigated?

Any tips on postharvest handling to remove most or all slugs, such as
saltwater for the first wash?

This chef favors local food, and is willing to pay more for baby
lettuces. I'd like to be a source, instead of saying summer lettuces
can't be done here.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA