market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] peanut innoculant as soil amendment

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] peanut innoculant as soil amendment
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 13:57:55 -0400

Hi Mac,

I don't know much about peanuts, but since no one else has chimed in, I'll
give it a shot:

Most legume inoculants are composed of a peat moss carrier inoculated with
mycorhizzal fungal spores -- the spores "come alive" in the presence of
warmth and moisture and form beneficial relationships with the roots of
certain species of legumes to supply nitrogen to the plants in return for
sugar from the plants.

I don't see any problem using it as a soil amendment, but you won't be
providing any nitrogen unless there are viable spores in the mix, and they
find the right species of legumes (i.e. peanuts) to colonize.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Rob Wallbridge
Songberry Organic Farm
24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0
email: rob AT songberry.ca
web: www.songberry.ca
facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"