market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Big Leeks - variety?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Big Leeks - variety?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:39:26 -0400

Thanks for the leek info, we planted a bed of leeks this spring.  I thought another round could be planted later for overwintering.  Sounds like I will just harvest as we need and leave them into winter instead of planting again.  Thanks again - mac

Quoting Owsley lucy :
I have grown king Seig (hybrid) and Musselburg Heirloom). The king Seig gets huge, has great flavor and is always tender. The Musselburg is supposed to get as big (or bigger than the King Sieg ) but despite the best leek growing year we have ever had, did not live up to that promise. So we have gone back to growing king Sieg. We have also grown King Richard (which is one of the parents of KS) but like the KS more. Lincoln is the skinny leek we have grown for 10+ years.

We usually start all our leeks close to Jan 1st under lights and transplant out in March/April. Start harvesting the KS in October (though most are over wintered in a hoop house for winter markets)

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH