market-farming - [Market-farming] tropical garlic (and weather) report

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming Community Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] tropical garlic (and weather) report
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:35:02 -0400

Most leaves of a few of the punier "Mexican" (from supermarket produce) garlic plants I started 10/17/09  and transplanted 1/5/10 into hot tropical soil started drying, so I pulled them up to see what -- if anything -- going on.  And they actually had made small heads with small cloves (big enough to use, but not exactly prime sales stuff).  I am hopeful that the larger healthy plants will have better showings, but am encouraged/excited that I can at least grow garlic for self and maybe a few other organic die-hards here.   (Most garlic sold here is dead, treated imports from China.  Scary stuff.)  Interestingly, 3 of the plants had a bulb below surface and had formed another bulb higher up stalk above ground.  One of these high bulbs has fresh green leaves showing, so I guess I should plant again right away.  It sounds like it should be obvious, but I can't really tell if these garlic are "hard" or "soft" necked.  The 3 with high bulbs have a stiff stem between the 2 bulbs, but the others have soft, braidable stems.  Anyone?

Meanwhile, we had a couple of showers in last week and then lovely rain for the past 2 days.  Things greening/growing/exploding.  Birds, land crabs, frogs...so so wonderful for all (except onion crop which I had hoped to start knocking down tops and harvesting).  Hoping dry season over (although is not due to end until midJune; then again, wasn't supposed to start 2 months early either).

Thanks to you all, again, for the suggestions, information and weather empathies.

All best wishes,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce