market-farming - [Market-farming] asparagus weed control with salt

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: kathleen timperley <bluestemfarms AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] asparagus weed control with salt
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:04:51 -0500

I have a large asparagus patch, and weeds are always a problem.  I planted white clover, but it's not very aggressive and where I live, 4b, it winter kills in patches.  I seem to remember my mother salting her patch to kill weeds, banking on the deep roots of the asparagus to be unaffected.  Has anyone tried this? Does it work? How much do you use?  Rock salt or can I use livestock granular salt?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kathy
Bluestem Farms
Madison NE