market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] onion plants again

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] onion plants again
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:05:21 -0500

yes you can trim them back to 4". They will do better for the hair cut.

On Mar 12, 2010, at 3:37 PM, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:

We can finally plant onions this weekend. But, the tops have grown a foot. We are going to try and use our mechanical transplanter, but the tops are too long to go through unless I trim them back. Can I do this? I know the tops are trimmed before shipping, but we usually are able to plant right away.
We doubled our order this year and there is no way we can crawl down the rows setting 15,000 onions by hand. We are too far behind for that.
We have to get them done this weekend. I'm feeling the stress!
Carla
Perkins, OK

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm