market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] voles revisited

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] voles revisited
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 23:04:21 -0500

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I will need to look for some hungry kitties.  - mac

Quoting Owsley lucy :

Yeah, there likely will be a larger population of voles because of all the snow. Fedco sent along with my seed order an old newspaper from December and it that paper was an article on voles (and other rodents) and they mentioned years with no snow and cold will decimate the vole population and years with a lot of snow will increase the population.

I know I am seeing some very impressive vole runs now the the snow ins melting. Our new puppy is getting quite good at catching and killing them but they are still doing damage to spinach in a hoop house despite 5 or 6 being removed in the past 48 hours.

We have boxes with 2 traps per box baited with peanut butter. But the dogs are getting more than the traps right now (the voles are springing the traps but not getting caught)