market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rabbit anyone??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rabbit anyone??
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:41:57 EST

We've raised rabbits for years for our own consumption, but right now Western WA state has no facility for USDA inspected butchering and processing and I can't legally sell them for human consumption without that sticker.  Last time I checked, I'd have to drive them down to CA for processing.  When I was part of a group trying to get a small scale poultry processing facility put together, we thought about doing rabbits too.  Turns out Rabbit is categorized as an exotic by USDA and needs to be inspected as such.  Sorta put the stops on that idea.  If I had an extra $20K laying around, one really good use for it would be to build a dedicated bunny processing plant here, and then sit back and rake in a piece of the action. Sorry to say I don't have the spare $20K.  So I'll keep selling my meat rabbits to the zoo and maybe have some for myself once in awhile.  If enough people started clamoring for it, maybe that too would change.
Kathryn Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, WA