market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How is it going in the Northeast ?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Scheffler <pureprairie AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How is it going in the Northeast ?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:29:08 -0600

Karen,

Do you use a lot of mulch?

Maybe you can incorporate some permaculture/water harvesting techniques like this
guy did in a desert in Jordan;  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohI6vnWZmk

If you check some of the recommended videos you can find some others
good ideas.

Good luck!

Bill
Chicago, z5

Hi Maury,

Thanks so much for your email.  I'd love to think it was the recurrence of El Nino -- and therefore a more or less predictable factor --  that's made our weather so difficult, so different.  Last year though was also wacky with the til-then predictable wet and dry seasons way off with consequent loss of plantings.  I'll have to do some research, find out more about ENSO years, including whether last year was also one.

Meanwhile, we're hanging in, moving focus to smallish plot near house where we have access to (paid) water and concentrating on most profitable crops.  May end up being one of those crisis/opportunity  lessons that will be good for farm's survival -- dare I think profitability? -- in general.

All best wishes,

Karen