market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] growing onion sets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] growing onion sets
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:41:05 EST

Bill, you have NO idea how helpful this was!  It explains all the "onion mysteries" we've had here over the years.  Thank you!
Kathryn (Allium-challenged) Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 2/23/2010 6:14:27 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, wshoemak AT illinois.edu writes:
We have one of the oldest onion set industries in the country in northern
Illinois, near Kankakee. Over time I've learned how they do it. Kind of
strange but it makes sense once you understand how they do it.

First, you are trying to create very small bulbs. The smaller, the better.
Let me explain. When you buy onion sets, you often see most of them are
about 1/2" in diameter. Those are best used as green onions because they are
big enough to bolt. So plant them very close together and plan on harvesting
them early as your first green onions (scallions). Those that are 1/4" or
smaller in diameter will be much less likely to bolt and will grow into
small, early dry bulbs. They're less physiologically advanced! They won't
get to be huge, so don't count on them for that. Instead, use them for early
bulbs, even bunched green bulbs. They're very good for that purpose. So
onion sets have a much different Best Use than onion plants.

Remember, onions are biennials. They want to flower after overwintering. So
large onion sets will always flower. You can break off the flower stems, but
don't count on big bulbs. Small onion sets can bulb reliably but will not
make really big bulbs, certainly not like direct-seeded onions or onion
plants. Each approach is valid, but has a different purpose in the end. And
like Shawnee Flowerfarmer said, they are daylight sensitive, so make sure
you pick the right variety for your area of the country. In the north you
want varieties that are long daylength (short nights. They will begin to
bulb when nights get short). In the north, that's in June (so plant early!).
If you are growing in the south, plant short daylength varieties (Granex
types are an example). They will begin to bulb during longer nights, earlier
in the Spring. But you will plant much earlier in the year so the plants can
get well-established and grow big shoots to feed the bulbs as they grow.

Okay, back to growing sets (which CAN be used to grow seed). To grow the
sets the year before growing them out for seed, plant seed early in the
season (April Fool's Day in Chicago. No kidding, No coincidence). Plant them
in shallow furrows REALLY THICK. I mean 12-24 seeds per inch of furrow. The
reason is you are essentially letting them get started, but not letting them
thrive. Grow them out very thickly and they will stay very small. They will
eventually form small bulbs because they will grow normally but under
intense competition. As hot-dry days occur in July and August, they will go
into dormancy. Dislodge them from their roots after tops dry down. You can
just use your hand to shove them aside and they will dry down nicely in
place. Put them in trays and put them somewhere they can finish drying. Be
sure to pick up the smallest ones. They will grow into nice onions next
Spring. Remove debris and excess dirt.

Once they've dried down, they can be cleaned up by brushing off the loose
layers of skin and bagging them in something well-aerated. Netted bags or
nylon hose works fine. Store them somewhere very cool (35F) and dry till
planting time next Spring. Separate them for their distinct uses and plant
accordingly.

That's the kernel of the idea behind growing onion sets. There's more to be
said but not enough time/space here. But this should give you the basics and
enough for success.

One other pointer. If you have a variety you really like and want to make
lots of sets, look at bulk onion seed prices. It's amazing how much cheaper
they are per unit when you buy in bulk. If you can buy with others and buy
bigger quantities, you can save money.

Bill