market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] more weeds...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] more weeds...
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:12:57 -0500

Man it's nice to have options like that.  If the Galinsoga is really bad and you can afford the space to fallow that would be the best way to get at it.  It's a summer annual that usually flares up pretty late.  I'd probably let the spelt come on in spring and then till that as you would for your cover crop plans.(being sure the galinsoga isn't coming on early under it)  After tilling the cover crop I'd wait for the first flush of weeds and cultivate.  If you get them early and small they'll be killed pretty easily.  If galinsoga gets bigger we've found cultivating and then tine weeding pulls alot of the plants and attached roots to the surface to desiccate.  In the bigger picture galinsoga can be an indicator of excessive nutrients and this is part of the reason it appears on a lot of market farms that import a good amount of manure and/or compost.(not to say it's not out there anyway)  But it's at-least worth consideration if you're beginning to see more and more of it.