market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] grow your own sweet potato slips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] grow your own sweet potato slips
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:44:04 -0500

prmsdlndfrm AT aol.com wrote:

> Do you cut the sweet potato like a regular potato? Ive been trying to
> grow these things for years and havent had any success. I can grow
> regular taters fine.
> josh

Consider getting the book from Ken Allan, "Sweet potatoes for the home
garden":

http://home.cogeco.ca/~allan/sweet_potatoes_flyer.html

Although geared toward domestic-scale growing in the North (~ zone 5), a
lot of informations in there would be directly applicable to small-scale
diversified grower. I own the book, and it is a good one, very
thorough, very complete, pleasant writing style. I would recommend it.

That being said, I have never grown sweet potatoes myself. It is going
to be a first this summer (zone 5).

Also, search the list archive (or the new web site!), we had a
discussion on the topic very recently, no more than a couple months ago.