market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer prevention

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "List" <list AT seasonseatingsfarm.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer prevention
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:43:44 -0600

I have two farmcollies. They keep out deer by charging but aren't allowed to chase. They also hunt mice, moles, voles, rabbits and squirrels. They'll tree raccoons. They killed one last summer but I'd rather they not touch them.  They keep hawks, owls and vultures off the poultry and prevent airplanes from landing in the driveway on slow days. I don't think I'll ever break one of them of chasing planes.  We no longer have coyote problems and bobcats pass through but seldom come back. The dogs make my job a lot easier.

Robin

Robin Follette
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge ME 04492

Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:26 PM

Anyone have any luck with using 'guard dogs' to keep deer away? I have been thinking about training a dog to basically work at night to keep them at bay.

Megan