market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Donating excess produce to Food banks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Donating excess produce to Food banks
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:29:16 -0600

Greetings,
We donate to an old folks home, they give me a tax reciept at the end of the year. That is, if my church doesn't take it all. So many places to donate, so little food to give.
Bright Blessings,
Kim

Owsley lucy wrote:
This past year my farm donated well over a thousand pounds of food to a local food bank. The food was stuff that did not sell at that day's market and was not grown specifically to be donated to a food pantry.

My question is how can I take a tax write off doing this? What is the protocol? Do I have to grow specifically for the pantry or is donating like I have-giving them the leftovers for the day (food grown for sale, not donation) acceptable? What kind of record keeping is expected? What tax form will be required for state and federal taxes