market-farming - [Market-farming] new member Doug in Hudson Valley, NY recommendations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Johnson <nan.n.johnson AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] new member Doug in Hudson Valley, NY recommendations
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:58:32 -0600

Welcome to the best community of growers on the planet!! (IMHO)

You asked for recommendations re: your plans and mentioned dairy goats.  As a former d.g. farmer, I can only say (with a smile) don't get dairy goats unless you absolutely cannot live without them.

Fencing is always a huge challenge (on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest, goats are #11) and can be a major expense.  Do lots of homework before getting dairy goats, talk to other dairy goat folks, etc. I bet your state has a dairy goat listserve.

I always plead with folks to never buy their dairy goats at an auction - and I prefer goats that are CAE-free (a crippling disease for which there is no vaccine and no cure, though some goats survive as carriers w/out symptoms).

In terms of milking, you CAN do it once a day, e.g., to give you more time for vegetables, etc.  but it does mean you won't take advantage of a goat's capacity.  And what to do with all the goat kids? (Although I have had goats that milked thru 2 years on single lactation).  If you have access to lots of scrub/browse (instead of pasture) that is the best, though fencing still required, if only to protect your goats from packs of dogs or coyotes, even if your goats don't wander.  Goats hate wet weather, so some shelter and winter hay would be necessary, even with browse unlimited.

All that said, I loved raising dairy goats and the milk/cheese/yogurt was delicious (I drank and sold it raw, legal in MS as long as I didn't retail it but sold on the farm..so check out NY law while you're at it).  And best wishes for all success in everything!!!   nan (formerly of Dancing Goats Farm)