market-farming - [Market-farming] hatfield transplanter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] hatfield transplanter
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:12:54 -0800 (PST)

We use the hatfield to transplant into plastic;  potatoes, soilblocks, etc.  you do need to keep the bottom edge of the transplanter sharpened, which I do by using a bench grinder.  The plastic edges also must be buried well, or the impact of the transplanter will pull the edges out of the dirt. We have found that in general, if it rains between laying the plastic and setting plants, the plastic is more secure.

Transplanting the potatoes works just like any other plant, the transplanter digs a hole, you drop the plant (in this case a chunk of potato), and when you pull the transplanter back out of the ground, the soil closes back in on top of it.  Any soil which doesn't fall back in the hole will be washed in by a good shot of water, which is what we do immediately after planting a bed.

Curtis and Sarah Millsap
Millsap Farm
Springfield MO
www.millsapfarms.com