market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Micro greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Micro greens
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:07:29 -0800 (PST)

>The sprouts caught on, and I started selling 50-75 boxes
> every Saturday.??Then, unbeknownst to me, the market manager went to the
> BOH and told them she though they should research it more because she was
> quite sure that sprouts were a "potentially hazardous food" which cannot
> be sold at our market without a commercial kitchen license, and commercial
> refrigeration.??
> ?
> So?the day before the next market, in the midst of processing 75 boxes of
> sproutsI was contacted by the BOH?and told to immediately halt both
> production and selling of the sprouts.? Sprouts are?a potentially
> hazardous food according to?the Feds.? Therefore without a commercial
> kitchen, not allowed

We saw a lot of this sort of thing this year also in N. Idaho. In the
past the Board of Health was relatively inactive in any attempts to
regulate Farmers markets. Now they have put on restrictions that by their
own admission "make no logical or scientific sense".
This included this year a mandatory commercial kitchen for sprouts, herbal
vinegars, dried fruits and veggies, dried herbs, pickles, fruit syrups,
juices, and the list goes on. There has been no regard to the livelihoods
of the farmers and the rules change on a whim.
As our market's Chair, this turned into a total nightmare. As a vendor it
eliminated half of my products....My question to the BOH was...is the
point to regulate the small farmer out of existence?

  • Re: [Market-farming] Micro greens, sora, 12/30/2009