market-farming - [Market-farming] Sprouts and micros

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Sprouts and micros
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 07:42:48 -0800 (PST)

I found a source for the clamshells and foam inserts for growing micros in the package. Here's the link, in case anyone else is looking.

large scale:

http://www.sproutnet.com/sprout_packaging.htm

small scale:

http://www.sprouthouse.com/Sprout_Packaging_p/package.htm

Richard, in answer to the question about turning these over with micros in them, from what I've seen in the grocery store, they kind of support themselves since they have such a dense bunch of stems, even when turned over.  I'm sure turning and then shaking would be damaging, but they kind of fill up the container as they grow, and so they don't move around much in there.

Richard, what kind of micros are you growing?  We've been growing sunflowers, arugula, pea shoots, and some radishes.   Where do you buy your seeds?  I've been looking at buying from Mumms in Canada, but I'm going to check out the supply from this International Speciality supply, the first link above. So far, we've been growing sunflowers from cheap 25 lb bags of black oil seed, and the rest out of the field supply of arugula, etc. but we need to get more soon, so I'm in the market.

Thanks for any info,
Curtis

Curtis and Sarah Millsap
Millsap Farm
Springfield MO

www.millsapfarms.com
******

  • [Market-farming] Sprouts and micros, Curtis Millsap, 12/30/2009