market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Celeriac

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Celeriac
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 20:24:07 -0500

I'd agree with Phil.  We've also grown both and I haven't noticed appreciable differences.

They aren't necessarily an easy crop though.  They are perhaps the longest from seeding to harvest on our farm.  We start in March in germination flats, pot up a few weeks later and grow on until the tail end of May.  They require a good deal of fertility and a good even and fairly heavy supply of water from start to finish.  We begin harvesting in September into October and they store really well.  So they have that going for them!  Personally I love the taste. They fall into the love hate category with the CSA.  And probably the love hate category for this farmer.  I feel like they are a great item for rounding out and extending fall shares but economically they suck.  I wouldn't grow them for market unless folks we're really willing to pay for them.  Which in my experience they aren't.

Brian