market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA veg quantities

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA veg quantities
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:27:45 -0800 (PST)

>> 2) Would any one like to share there quantities of vegetable they give
>> their CSA members.
I go by market price...My shares are $25 per week so I price the amounts
to equal a $25 bag at market plus a little extra for buying bulk.
My bags total weight are usually around 6-7 lbs early in the season when
most of the produce is light leafy greens...A 10 ounce bag of salad greens
will yield 6-8 large servings.
I'll often throw in a loaf of bread or jam to balance things out early on.
Later on when the larger produce comes on...potatoes, onions, corn
etc...the bags are closer to 12-15 lbs.
I try not to inundate a family with huge amounts of any one thing...I've
lost CSA families because they thought it was "too much food". I
distribute recipes using the veggies of the week and find that helps me
think in terms of what they would want to use to cook with. If any of my
people want to can or freeze something they can order extra.

Sora in Paradise Valley, N.Id. zone 4/5
where it's 19 degrees, there's just enough snow to
twinkle in the bright sun, and the solar panels
are happily charging....
Happy Holidays to all you terrific hardworking Farm Folk!