market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cherry Sized Tomato

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cherry Sized Tomato
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:05:21 -0500

Ken Bezilla wrote:
> I like Matt's Wild Cherry, though my impressions is that it doesn't keep so
> well off the vine (but might keep longer on its tresses?)

I had a couple plants of MWC this years. Indeed, they do not keep so
well on the shelf.

The big problem with MWC is that it is a pain to harvest. You cannot
harvest each tiny tomatoes individually, because a little bit of the
skin remains attached to the pedoncule, damaging the fruit and hastening
spoilage. Beside, because the fruits are so small, there is no way you
can make such an harvest profitable without charging an arm and a leg.

Best would be to harvest complete bunch using a scissor or pruner.
There are generally 5-7 fruits per bunch. However, they do not ripen
all at the same time, so you would be stuck with over-ripe and unripe
tomatoes in the same basket.

The fruits are delicious and super-sweet, but I cannot see myself
growing MWC commercially. If anybody had better luck with MWC or some
other super-tiny tomato, I would love to hear about your experience! :)