market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] No Till Veggies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chrys Ostrander <chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] No Till Veggies
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:37:04 -0800

On a small scale I've controlled slugs in mulch in my no-till experimentation using "sluggo". I think the active ingredient is ferrous phosphate (don't have a package in front of me) that is supposed to be harmless and in fact acts as a soil amendment when the sluggo breaks down. Sluggo looks like rice and when the slugs eat it, it gives them an upset stomach and they stop eating and die. It's very effective. OMRI has sluggo listed as "restricted" which means it's okay for use in certified organic production but alternative cultural or mechanical control methods need to be attempted first, but on a large farm, there's a limit on how much copper tape you can lay down ;-) .

Chrys