market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] opportunity maybe/ where to start

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L. Wilson" <booldawgs AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] opportunity maybe/ where to start
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 06:56:01 -0800

Very good points, thanks.  I have most, if not all, of Joel's books in my storage in Oregon.  I also have Eliot Coleman's and most of the other useful books.  Our ranch/farm business in Oregon is part of our LLC so we can add his potential business  to it and have liability coverage.  Flowers, rather than food might be safer.
I used to live in Sonoma County, CA when it was very small farm/farmer oriented. It has changed a great deal but is still "country".  It is very "food" oriented, especially organic, sustainable ad local.  The competition will be tough I suspect.
He has dairies right up the road, an alpaca farm across the fence, horses and goats, across the road so the zoning should be okay. I will confirm it.  Much of the best farm land in California has been covered by Mcmansions.  The housing crash has put a stop to that, at least for a while, I hope.
It is one of the easiest places to garden that I have ever lived.  The climate is wonderful. My biggest concern has been water. It will probably need an irrigation well.  The soil is adobe but I have dealt with it before.  A good green manure, soil builder seeding should  be planted now before the winter rains start.  It is set-up pretty well with the houses close together.  It has 4? acres that are still usable.

DH and I are helping him buy the ex out so I have more than a passing interest in the project.   A business plan is probably one of the first steps.  I need to go walk it and take a hard, hard look at everything.  It doesn't have to completely support either family just help with the payments

Thanks again