market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rosemary and oange oil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Erik Lane <eriklane AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rosemary and oange oil
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:31:33 -0800

As a long term thing, have you tried growing rosemary yourself? I
don't know how typical it is, but here in the Pacific Northwest it
grows like a weed. Well, almost - once you get it started you don't
really have to do anything for it. It just grows year after year. I'm
always surprised at the prices of it in the stores with how easy it is
to grow your own. For that matter walking down the city streets I
almost always find people growing it in their front yards and it's
often huge and neglected looking, like they never use it but just have
it as an ornamental.

On a little of an aside - ours is blooming right now. What's up with
that? We have had a little bit of a weird year, but it's pretty
surprising to see the flowers this late in the year. Though I might
not have paid as much attention before. Has anyone else seen anything
like that?