market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] squash bug control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] squash bug control
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:55:38 -0500

On Nov 5, 2009, at 10:15 AM, <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com> wrote:

I went to the OMRI website and looked for Diatect, but could not find it.
Go to omri.org

Not everything permissible is listed with OMRI. Apparently listing with them is expensive. If all the ingredients are on the generic list, the item should be OK anyway.

While it may be difficult or impossible for the individual grower to find out what all the ingredients are ("inert" ingredients are only inert in the specific technical sense of not claiming to do anything to the targeted pest, and may indeed pose a problem otherwise, but they're rarely listed on the label), there are others besides OMRI who check ingredients. Johnny's says the Diatect is listed with Washington State Department of Agriculture as acceptable for certified organic use.

Whether or not it's on the OMRI list, or any other list, always check with your certifier before use of any input, if you're certified; not all certifiers accept all listings without checking the items themselves, and such use for pesticides is in any case supposed to be part of your overall farm plan, not a first and only resort (so the certifier might not allow use if it doesn't approve your overall plan for controlling that pest). Andy said he wasn't certified; if I were a home gardener or a non-certified market grower, I personally would consider that something approvable by WSDA, MOGFA, NOFA, etc. was acceptable, as well as something on the OMRI list.