market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash bug control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash bug control
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:34:22 -0500

On Nov 2, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

Its interesting too how the term pie pumpkin gets used. Some people, especially in New England, are referring to the New England Sugar Pie variety when they say "pie pumpkin" but it's also become a term for all small pumpkins among many growers and consumers. It's unfortunate because the Sugar Pie variety is selected for culinary quality but many small verieties are selected for other reasons and are inferior for culinary use.

Thanks for info -- I didn't realize that, and had taken "pie pumpkin" in a seed catalogue description to mean "good for making pies from", as that's how I use it (though I never took it as limited to only Sugar Pie, I thought it referred to any variety bred for flavor.)

Then, to make matters worse, most of the canning companies use types like Buckskin and Dickinson Field Pumpkin for their pie pack. Then there is one that uses Golden Delicious (C. maxima) squash for their pie pack.

I usually make my "pumpkin" pies (for home use, I don't sell pies) from winter squash. Most winter squashes make better pies than pumpkins. Hubbards are fantastic for this, Butternut very good; but leftovers of almost any winter squash I'll put into a pie. (I suspect spaghetti squashes wouldn't work well, but I don't like those much anyway.)