market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Loss of Soil Carbon After Tilling
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:21:42 -0400

Tom

You are correct.  However, the production of charcoal at best has always been a fairly dirty process.

If we are talking about Biochar then we are talking about a much cleaner process.  It is something I am looking into as an option of  rebuilding the soil quality of a 45 acre dry gravel pit site.

I am way over simplifying the whole thing of course and will admit that I do not have a firm grasp on the entire thing myself.  I can only say it looks promising especially as commercial units come on line that can produce hundreds of pounds of char in hours, ready to use.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855