market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] onions
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 07:06:38 -0400

x2 with what Allan said.

We do not water our onions very much, if at all.  Usually spring and early summer rains are enough to produce a nice crop.  If you HAVE to irrigate I would do less rather than more and nothing at all once your bulbs are harvesting size.  Its really easy to go from just enough water to rotting conditions.

In 2010 I am experimenting with surface planting and hilling so I can harvest them using a potato digger.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855