market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207ME.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] onions
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:30:56 -0400

At this place I have had lots of fun with onions the past few years, made more so
when they are huge enough to make folk say "you cant grow those here"!

This is my plan, OMMV!

at the longest day of the year onions here quit making plant and start making bulb, so
decent onions come from plants well established at that time.

seed bulk in March and as soon as they are up transplant into 84 or 128 plugs,
constant liquid feed at 200ppm of 20-20-20,

cut back to 3 inches high with sissors several times

as soon as possible set into 6 x 6 spacing, 4 rows on black plastic.

I have never added water, but this excessivly wet year the crop is almost too large.

This year:(All Fedco)  White Wing, Red Wing, Dakota Tears, shallot Prisma.

Usually some Ailsa Craig; also  New York Early  and _expression_ when available

MAsteveINE