market-farming - [Market-farming] spinach and aphids

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] spinach and aphids
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:05:08 -0700 (PDT)

Colemans new book discussed the aphid problem on spinach, and his solution was to water more frequently, which washes more of the nitrates out of the soil, which is supposed to get rid of the aphids because they thrive in a high nitrogen environment... I haven't tried it yet, but I'm certainly going to. Ladybugs work, but they definitely leave behind lots of little aphid carcasses, which are very difficult, if not impossible to fully remove.
Curtis

Curtis and Sarah Millsap
Millsap Farm
Springfield MO