market-farming - [Market-farming] seed sources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] seed sources
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:34:40 -0400

Back about Labor Day there was a question about where companies like High Mowing and Baker Creek get their seed. I responded about High Mowing as best I knew. That response finally crossed Tom Stearns’ computer, and here is his reply:

What a great job you did!  We grow about 25% of the seed on our farm, about 50% comes from our growers in the US and another 25% comes from some mostly European seed companies that have sought us out as a partner in the U.S.  Frank is among our great growers.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Stearns, President

High Mowing Organic Seeds www.highmowingseeds.com

Center for an Agricultural Economy www.hardwickagriculture.org

76 Quarry Road

Wolcott, Vermont 05680

Phone: (802) 472-6174 ext. 114

Cell: (802) 224-6301

Fax: (802) 472-3201

tom AT highmowingseeds.com

And my original response:

High Mowing, to my knowledge, contracts with individuals to grow some seed for them. They also produce some seed themselves. They buy seed from growers in the western U.S. when that results in more disease free seed. I think they get some lettuces and greens from Frank Morton (writing from memory that is the name that comes to mind). They have some sort of business arrangement with Vitalis Seeds (a European company) to carry their hybrids. They have invested significantly in a seed quality lab to ensure their seeds are high quality. I will forward this to High Mowing to let them respond better, but it is a holiday weekend for people who work for companies.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

  • [Market-farming] seed sources, Beth Spaugh, 10/14/2009