market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Rachel Evans <rachel AT sunshinefarmmarket.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 07:16:13 -0700

We plant about 9 rows on a 48" bed (60" centers). We used to do 5, but like 9 better. Definitely more pounds per foot. The challenges are you have to hand weed, but we take care of most of the weeds beforehand by creating stale seed beds (prepping the bed at least 2 weeks in advance, germinating the weed seeds with irrigation, cultivating them out with our basket weeder, or flaming them out) so the salad mix comes up in a pretty clean bed. We cut each planting at least twice, and sometimes three times, depending on how it looks/ tastes.

I'm pretty happy with our system...It's one thing we have pretty figured out. Let me know if you have other specific questions.

--
Rachel Evans
The Sunshine Farm

509-670-8958