market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fwd: tomato late blight detected in our area

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207ME.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fwd: tomato late blight detected in our area
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:35:35 -0400

The big box retailers in this area recieved shipments of late blight infected
plants from the south during planting season, a different strain of the
pest than is here most years but very late in the season.

Prevention would have been the only help, as when it arrived at this place
my potatoe crop (16 - 80' rows) were entirely dead within 72 hours, my
small tomatoe crop is in the greenhouse and so far has excaped the blight.

Extension said eat what we could of them but the crop would eventually
break down, so dont try retailing or storing them. She was sure right
about that, good looking tubers will go to black and slimey over night.

I am digging and cooking 60 lbs a day for the pigs, but it sure is not
what I had planned.

MAsteveINE