market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed sources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed sources
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:52:29 -0400

Richard,
Farm supply stores and certain produce stands around here sell bulk seed of the type you requested, though Mizuna not as often.

As I grower I get their seed wholesale and tax free.  They also offer a big discount for this years seed in the fall, as they are planning for next year.  Depending on what sells well the current year, I have seen leftover 25 lb sacks of brassicas in the back room.  So make an offer.

Another source for bulk brassica seed is sellers for deer and other wildlife plots.  Austrian Winter peas and brassicas are quite reasonable there.  Often sold by 25 or 50 lb sacks, but if you ask nicely, sometimes they will break a sack, or have one broken from a recent order.  They also are willing to order 25 or 50 lbs sacks for me from their bulk suppliers, as they order forage seeds this time of year.

None of this bulk seed I've found so far is Organic.

E&R does have bulk beet seed at a good price.

Richard Moyer
Castlewood, VA