market-farming - [Market-farming] Mulch options for Organic Asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mulch options for Organic Asparagus
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:19:11 -0400

Was writen:
"With the high cost of straw, is it really the only option for growing organic asparagus?  We can get woodchips free from the city and I want to start using those to mulch in the paths in our perennial flower beds, but I'm nervous about using them elsewhere as mulch, lest they suck all the N out of the ground."

We visited Harvey Ussery's www.themodernhomestead.us place a couple of years ago, saw his well mulched and weed-free asparagus, with straw he grows in place:

"Let me tell you about my favorite trick with cover cropping and mulching garden beds over winter. Let’s take my two asparagus beds as an example. Near the end of September, I cut all the asparagus fronds, sow a mix of oats and peas, and cover with litter from the poultry house. During October and November the oats and peas come on strong, shrugging off the first frosts and growing lush and thick and about knee high. But when the seriously cold, ground-freezing weather comes in, they reliably winter-kill. That is, they lie down into the most beautiful mulch-in-place you can imagine. Remember this trick, you can use it in any situation where you need a bed that’s already mulched in the rush of spring, where you can plant and move on, and not have to worry about weed control. And of course, the peas in the mix set nitrogen in the soil, which boosts the transplants off to a good start."

This may not be for every asparagus bed, but I saw the thick oat straw beneath his weed-free asparagus and was impressed.

As for wood chips "sucking N out of the soil", that's not a given.  I have used wood chips around blackberry plantings and a small asparagus patch for years.  The chips break down into an admirable organic layer, then I add more.  Most of the chips were white pine, though I did sheet compost part of our lawn with 1.5 foot thick of hickory chips.  Then planted blueberries into this, which also now have a thick, rich organic layer.

From what I've read (and there are varieties of opinions on this) it's MIXING wood chips into the soil that cause problems for plant growth, and that tie up soil nitrogen.  An established perennial plant like asparagus appreciates the moderated soil temps and soil moisture, and the thriving soil food web breaking the chips down.  Also, tree limbs and trunks decomposing on the forest floor or brushy edge do not create 'dead zones' around them.  And our veggies grow up to and over the decomposing logs framing the beds.  Have seen trials of wood and bark chips with young peach trees growing in bare soil vs. shredded newspaper mulch vs. bark-woodchip mulch.   Trees in the latter mulch did the best, presumed to be because of its moisture preserving, soil building and weed suppressing activity.

Over a season or two one could grow the straw in place as above vs. wood chips, perhaps even comparing to mulching with clean straw bales.  On-farm research can identify what works for you, and lessen dependence on purchased off-farm inputs.

Richard Moyer

Castlewood, VA  Thankful for the recent rains to germinate fall and winter crops.

  • [Market-farming] Mulch options for Organic Asparagus, Richard Moyer, 09/11/2009