market-farming - [Market-farming] Topping tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Topping tomatoes
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:40:52 -0700 (PDT)

The way I look at it is that a tomato generally grows about like a weed!  I chop mine back all the time.  I always top them in the hoophouse as they will continue to reach for the sky.  Some people tie them up and lower them as new growth puts out new tomatoes...That's very cool, but I have not worked it out yet, but can see it would be a great solution for cherry tomatoes especially.

Chop away.  Your tomatoes will be fine.  As to sunscald.  Yes.  Could be a problem, but especially if you cut back the tomatoes during this heatwave!  I would wait for what looks lilke a stretch of somewhat cloudy weather or just be careful when you are cutting back not to "bear" too many nice tomatoes.

Hattie Allen
Lewes, DE 19958