market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Surround and Naturalis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Surround and Naturalis
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 13:11:16 -0400

On Aug 9, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Wyatt Jones wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>If Surround does so well on flea beetles with brassicas, I wonder how it would do on Eggplant.  I don't seem to have any problem with them on brassicas but they seem to love the eggplant.  Been covering them but its a pain taking it up to till and cut weeds all the time as I have some pretty prolific weeds here.
</x-tad-smaller>

Do you grow your eggplant on plastic mulch? This doesn't remove the weed problem entirely, but it sure does reduce it (as well as, in my climate, helping make it hot enough for at least some varieties of eggplant; and conserving water.) -- I row cover my eggplant till the plants are big enough to be too tall for the hoops holding the row cover off them; by then they're large enough to generally put on new leaf surface faster than the flea beetles can eat it.

<x-tad-smaller>Also wondering what people use organically for corn borers,
</x-tad-smaller>

I'm not doing corn any longer; but most growers use oils and/or Bt, applied into the silks with an eyedropper if on a really small scale or with a zea-later on a larger scale.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/resourceguide/cmp/corn.php

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?scommand=search&search=zea-later&item=9038&category=292&subcategory=319