market-farming - [Market-farming] using Fertrell/chicken manure product

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Johnson <nan.n.johnson AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] using Fertrell/chicken manure product
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:54:13 -0400

Re: Allen's concern with this commercial fertilizer...my experience
with a Mississippi produced "chicken litter" organic fertilizer was
mixed

For several years, I incorporated some commercial organic fertilizer
into the small pots (along with potting mix) when I transplanted
tomatoes (step before putting them in the ground). I had 70 plus pots
each year that way. Never a problem with "burning" the roots, etc.

Then, one year I bought the Agreaux Organic chicken litter pelleted
fertilizer (manure plus bedding, by definition) and put a bit of that
in each tomato pot. It did burn all the healthy seedlings (they had
5-6 sets of true leaves so not tiny seedlings). Lost them all.

So, it depends on the formula. I did however use that same Agreaux
fertilizer to sidedress my greens in the fall, and no problem. Greens
were still in growing stage but by no means tiny.

It is hard to know without experimenting......I was growing
organically but not certified so wasn't worried about number of days
with manure, etc.

I agree that unless you know the company, "composted" means nothing in
way of assurance. good luck! nan (formerly of Dancing Goats Farm,
MS)

  • [Market-farming] using Fertrell/chicken manure product, Nan Johnson, 08/03/2009