market-farming - [Market-farming] tractor for subsoiling/chisel plowing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chris O'Brien" <chris AT bigleaffarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] tractor for subsoiling/chisel plowing
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:43:30 -0700

The first time I tried posting this it didn't go through to the list.  Here's trying again...

Hi Folks,
I'm a new member of the list.  I'm a small-scale market gardener (~1 acre) looking to upgrade to a tractor from my current small walk-behind tiller.  I'm looking at finding a tractor that would allow me to cultivate (subsoil/chisel plow and till) 1-2 acres at a time.

My question for folks on the list is this: Would a 30 hp 2 wheel tractor without front weight be adequate to this task, specifically for the subsoiling part of the cultivation?  I'm farming on nice loam that is evenly split between sand, silt and clay without any rocks to speak of.

 I've read that the rough guide for subsoiling is 10-15 hp per shank, but I'm not sure how 2/4wd and tractor weight plays into this.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

cheers,
chris

  • [Market-farming] tractor for subsoiling/chisel plowing, Chris O'Brien, 07/23/2009