market-farming - [Market-farming] Basil

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Basil
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 05:44:00 -0400

Hi.

We are growing basil for our on-farm market and having trouble with it holding up.

How do y'all store and package basil without it getting dark green/brown (from too cold of temps I think) and how do you package it to keep it form wilting and/or getting slimy?

I have tried it in loose in large bags, and loose in peck boxes, kept in the walk-in and it gets dark green/brown.

On the counter, it is tightly packed in zip bags which are left partially open to breathe and it creates moisture.

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Tom
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Near Lake Erie
(needing rain badly)