market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Climate Change, Risk and Phenology

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Climate Change, Risk and Phenology
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:53:38 -0400

I watch me bees.

Sounds silly, but my best indicator of what is going on is how they are doing.  What they are bringing in, how much propolis is being generated how well the queen is laying, colors of pollen that I collect, etc.

Its sort of like using the farmers almanac.

That said, I have started relying more heavily on dark fabric mulches and simply increased my planting by two weeks.   That seems to work well.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855