market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic Available (for seed or eating)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic Available (for seed or eating)
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 01:20:10 -0400

Garlic from: Bobbett's Naturally Grown Farm
Certified Naturally Grown

My garlic for the season is now hanging and drying. Exact quantities of what I have available will not be known for another few weeks. Below is shipping and pricing information. If you have any questions, please ask. Thank you.

Since I cannot sell by weight without a "certified"or "inspected" scale, I will be selling by volume.
Garlic bulbs are measured in inches at their widest point to come up with sizing. For the CHEROKEE and INCHELIUM garlics, sizing is as follows:

Mini: the smallest of the smalls, probably <0.50" across
Small: LESS than1.25"
Medium: 1.25"- 2.00"
Large: MORE than 2.00" across

For the Cherokee and Inchelium garlic bulbs ONLY, with the purchase of every seven (7) bulbs I will include one free. Size of free bulb is my choice, but will be based on the majority of what you order.

CHEROKEE GARLIC
Our most popular hard neck garlic. Produces a delicious scape about 1-2 mos. before harvest that can either be left on the plant to produce bulbils or can be harvested young and used in stir fries, pickled, or made into pesto.

Mini: 8 for $1.00 = one order; buy five orders and get one free (buy 40 minis and receive 50)
Small: four (4) bulbs for $3.00
Medium: three (3) bulbs for $3.00
Large: two (2) bulbs for $3.00

*****

INCHELIUM GARLIC (quantities very limited this year)
A hardy soft neck garlic that has done well for me in zone 6.
Due to an excess of rain throughout the Spring of 2009 my crop did not produce as I would have liked. Therefore, I only have Smalls and Mediums to sell.

Small: four (4) bulbs for $3.00
Medium: three (3) bulbs for $3.00

*****

MINI CHEROKEE GARLIC: I would suggest you use the minis as an animal deterrent by planting them abundantly around any gardens you don't want most critters to get into. I had them around my strawberry bed this past year and the groundhogs didn't go in. Plant them every 4-6" WHOLE and you will get all the cloves sprouting at once. Snip the tender young greens and use them as garlic chives. Let them mature later in the season into a thicket. If you let the scapes form, you can grow your own bulbils to increase the number of garlic you can plant later that season. You can leave these sprouted minis in the ground to become an even denser thicket for the following season or thin them and then plant your own home-grown minis elsewhere.

ELEPHANT GARLIC A huge garlic-looking bulb that's actually in the leek family. It grows exactly like garlic however, and tastes like very mild garlic. An excellent addition in your kitchen with easy to peal, large cloves. They store excellently. There are approximately 4-5 large cloves per bulb.

Pricing and sizing:

Bulbs under 2.75" across: $2.50
Bulbs over 2.75" across: $3.50
"Irregular" bulbs: $3.00 + 10-15 free korms (see description below)

"Irregular" bulbs are those that fall into the larger size category that split at the top because they grew too big too quickly in our wet Spring. The bulbs are fine for eating or planting, but may not store as well as 'tight' bulbs would store.
*****

ELEPHANT GARLIC KORMS. Korms grow hanging from the bottom of the elephant garlic bulbs and with the right care, growing conditions, and some luck, they will each grow into a garlic round. A garlic round is one solid piece of garlic (no cloves) that can be anywhere from 1/2"-4" across. It will look like an onion on the outside, but it's actually a large piece of garlic. You can eat the garlic round as you would any other clove, or you can replant it and it will grow into a HUGE bulb the next season. Korms can be hard to germinate and require pre-soaking as well as possibly a little help getting out of their hard shells by nicking them slightly. Plant them around the same time you would normally plant out your cloves in the Fall.
*****

CHEROKEE GARLIC BULBILS
I have a limited quantity of garlic bulbils for those who might not want to purchase full sized bulbs or whose budget might be tight. Bulbils are planted at the same time as cloves and will produce for the following season anywhere from a small round to a small bulb (usually less than 1" across) with 2-8 small cloves. The cloves can be replanted to produce bigger bulbs the following season.

The price for an order of Garlic Bulbils ONLY is:
100 bulbils for $6.50 which INCLUDES shipping.
If you want bulbils added to another order of whole garlic bulbs, then the price is only $4.50 for just the 100 bulbils.

* Orders will be accepted and acknowledged on a first come, first served basis. You will get a return email with an ORDER NUMBER. If you do not receive such an email within 24 hours, please resend your request. ORDER NUMBERS are sequential and will show your place in line.
* Orders will be filled starting at the end of July and shipped in August.
* You will be sent an invoice for your order (which is your confirmation that what you ordered IS in stock and has been filled as you requested) in 2-4 weeks. If anything you've ordered it out of stock, you will be sent an email to confirm if you'd like something else instead.
* Please use your personal ORDER NUMBER on any correspondence with me for the promptest service.
* Please send me your full name, mailing address, and zip code when you place
your order.

Payment is expected within 10 days of your confirmed order. I accept PayPal (preferred method), Money Orders (US Postal or generic), CERTIFIED bank checks (ie: Cashier's Checks; NOT a personal check), and discretely sent cash (at your own risk). Absolutely NO personal checks will be accepted. PayPal to: bobbett AT windstream.net

I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO LIMIT QUANTITIES.
If I run out of any sizes or types of garlic, I will let you know and wait for your approval before making a substitution or adjusting your order.

Upon shipment of your order I will email you growing instructions.

If there are any problems with your order upon arrival, please take a picture to document the problem and then email me telling me what the problem is. I need any problems brought to my attention within seven (7) days upon your receipt. Thank you.

Shipping is as follows for BULBS:

ALL orders are shipped Priority Mail.
My goal is to ship them the most economical way for you, but please realize that orders that go over a pound will more than likely ship via the One Rate box, which is currently at $10.35 (or REGULAR Priority mail which is approximately $8.70 depending upon zip code). For super large orders, the Largest Flat Rate box is now up to $13.95.

Because of the higher rates for shipping, I've endeavored to keep the majority of my garlic prices the same for 2009 as they were in 2008.

Remember: an order Cherokee Garlic bulbils is only $6.50, and that includes 1st Class postage!
Thank you.
Bobbett Jascor
Bobbett's
Certified Naturally Grown