market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chicks/Chickens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: noraowens AT comcast.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chicks/Chickens
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:48:26 -0500

Greetings,

All my chicks and turkeys were born the first week of June. They went to eating half starter and half grain last week. This week, it is pure grains. I never feed any layer or grower pellets or mash and I get great tasting meat, well grown birds and lots of egg production. My birds are on pasture as well. They also get every horned worm I can find on my tomatoes, which some mornings lately has been quite a feast.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Nora Owens wrote:
I have chicks that were born about the 3rd week of May. They, too, are now
looking like chickens. I have just purchased grower feed, the food between
chick starter and layer pellets. I have one last bag of starter crumbles, so
I am mixing it with the grower crumbles (actually pellets, only smaller than
the layer pellets) to get everyone used to it. I have fifty chicks, all
females and all future layers. They will be added to my flock to replace the
hens as they slow down in production later this fall.
Nora
MA