market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] fall crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] fall crops
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:30:04 GMT

Jay,
We've sold out of pickling cucumbers the last 3 weeks! They have always been
a popular item for us. We can't seem to grow enough. We have a fairly large
international population and they love pickling cukes. I pick them fairly
small, and can't keep up with the demand. Isn't it funny how different things
sell at different markets?
Eggplant is one of those crops that I can never predict. Some years we bring
home all we take to market. This year, we've sold out the last two weeks.
Same varieties, same amount I always grow, just a bigger demand for some
reason.

As for the spaghetti squash, who knows? We've had customers ask for it during
the summer before, and we've never had it. This year I planted a small amount
of it, acorn and butternut. Some times it takes me awhile to catch on. These
people are asking for something why don't I grow it???? So, I'm slowly
learning to pay attention when someone asks for something, and then try and
remember to grow it the next year. This year it has been garlic. I bet I've
had 50 people asking for garlic. So, I'm trying to figure that one out, and
get some garlic ordered in time for fall planting.

This business is a challenge isn't it? But so much fun!

Carla
Perkins, OK and it's already 91

Get your dream car or truck. Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTLa8vzvbUWfieHzdQaNn6a8bXB5Tqwl5ojJbrvHCm49gBxDscpEC8/