market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] broadfork experiences?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sheila Payne" <srp75 AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] broadfork experiences?
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:00:18 -0600

I use a broadfork in clay soils.  I have some rocks, but the density of the clay seems to be the kicker for me.  I haven't done all the double digging work that Lynn talks about in her response.  I have work in compost into the top few inches of the soil, then hoed up some raised beds. The first several inches of the fork slides in easily, but then the last few inches takes a jump (not just a step) up onto the bar to penetrate further into the ground.  It is quite a workout to use it, but it is effective.  I use it as Lynn indicates -- apply compost then lift.

Sheila