market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] broadfork experiences?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] broadfork experiences?
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:51:55 -0400

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:17:53 -0700, Kate Halstead wrote:
> Does anyone on the list use a broadfork or u-bar?
>
> We’re looking at one as a possible addition to our tool shed and wondered
>if
> anyone with experience using one could make a recommendation or comment on
> using/purchasing one?  Our soils are very clayey with virtually no rock.
> Curse and blessing rolled into one.

I love mine. It is, as the Johnnys catalog says, a pleasure to use--no
strain. And it penetrates deeper than the rototiller can. I use the 30" fork,
which does a whole bed width at once. The benefits last longer than one
season--forking beds I did last year is less than half the work of last year,
and in some beds, the fork plunges in almost full depth without needing to
step on the bar. No rock is a good thing--the difficulty with the fork
(especially a wide fork) is that rocks will slow you down a lot.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/