market-farming - [Market-farming] Mizuna

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mizuna
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 20:31:21 -0400

We're in zone 7, central Virginia. We grow mizuna as a fall, winter and early spring crop in our hoophouse. The first sowing is made outdoors under rowcover in mid-September, then transplanted around 4 weeks old into the hoopouse at 12" spacing. We use this quite large, cut into salad mix. We don't have flea-beetle trouble from mid-Ocober onwards.  We like the ferny shape and the crunchiness of mizuna, and the mild flavor. And now it's available in purple too. Not quite as cold-tolerant, the purple. If Mizuna gets too large, we just buzz-cut it right back, an inch above the ground, and let it grow new leaves. Our standard harvesting method is to buzz one side of each plant. the remaining half feed the roots until the new leaves get going. You can get many cuts with this practice.

Later we direct sow more mizuna in the hoophouse, and thin it out. What's not to like? (Assuming the fleabeetles are gone)

Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA