market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] frost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] frost
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 11:42:49 -0700 (PDT)

We lost about 400 tomatoes/hot peppers. Most of my cherry tomatoes.
> I only covered the beans and cucumbers with 1 layer of the agribon, the
> beans did fine, they are just barely coming out of the ground, and I
> haven't
> looked at the cucumbers, but they probably are fine, as they were also
> just
> coming out of the ground. The potatoes look terrible, they were so
> beautiful. I think they will come out of it, won't they?
> We still have lots of tomatoes that weren't planted and lots of hot
> peppers,
> But I did lose most of the poblanos and 40 of the jalapenos, and most of
> the
> red cayenne, but we will be ok.
> When I can afford it, I plan on buying the heavier agribon from Johnny's.
> Ag
> 19. Is this going to work to cover up the plants when it will be freezing?
> What do I use and how for the staked tomatoes? The neighbor predicts
> another
> frost June 10, she says it always frosts then. I hope she is wrong.
> Thank you all.

Oh Sue...my heart goes out to you!! Here in the mountains of N. Idaho I
always figure June 10 as "frost-free" planting day. In reality, I've seen
frost every month, but if I don't plant by then I don't get a crop. I've
had good luck with two layers of the heavier Agribon on tomatoes down to
26 degrees. I don't stake them but let them spread low so they're easier
to cover. Potatoes may look crappy but they should come back just fine.
Sora in the 80's this week but low 40's at night

  • Re: [Market-farming] frost, sora, 05/27/2009