market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tractor rotovators

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tractor rotovators
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 07:49:33 -0400

You lost me. Who makes the reverse rotating tillers? -Allan in WV

They work wonderfully. You can shallow incorporate green residue and
build up humus faster than you can imagine. They do not bring up last
years weed seeds to bother you.

my two cents, having used them on an off for thirty years (the 'off' is
when I didn't work the land for a while)

stonecirclefarm tds.net wrote:
I am on the verge of moving from a walk behind rototiller to a tractor
mounted 3-pt tiller. I am wondering if anyone has experience and/or
opinions about the merits of reverse rotation tillers versus
forward-rotating tillers. From what I've read, the reverse rotating
tines will do in one pass what may take the other two passes...but you
likely will be traveling slower. I've also read that the reverse
rotating tines are a problem if you have lots of stones (I do not) or
heavy soil (mine is a fairly heavy silt loam). The reverse rotating
tines produce a looser, fluffier top layer and are more effective at
burying residue. I wonder if they are harder on the soil, however, in
terms of health and tilth. Thoughts and comments anyone? Thanks.

-John